The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the 2 joints which hook the lower jaw bone to the skull.
This joint and the 3 ligaments that help attach it to the skull allows us to chew our food, yawn, and talk.
Problems with TMJ
Many people suffer from problems with TMJ, which can be very painful.
TMJ problems can be caused by;
• Misalignment or erosion of the disk
• Damage caused by arthritis
What are the symptoms of temporomandibular joint Toronto
Here are some symptoms of temporomandibular joint issues;
• Swelling on the side of the face
• Trouble chewing as if the top does not align with lower teeth and jaw
• Pain or tenderness in the areas of the jaw joint, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear that makes it difficult to chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
• Jaw becoming stuck or locked when in open or closed position
• Noises such as clicking, popping, or grating when you open your mouth or chew and this may or may not hurt but the noises can be annoying
Treatment of TMJ
There are some treatments for TMJ; some of which are;
• Your dentist can prescribe higher doses of NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, muscle relaxers, or anti-anxiety medications
• A mouth guard
• Replacing missing teeth, the use of crowns, bridges, or braces
Home and alternative therapies
• Moist heat or cold packs
• Radio wave therapy
If other treatments fail, your dentist may suggest surgery as a last resort.
Once you have surgery it cannot be undone; so get a second opinion before surgery.
There are ways to help reduce the risk of TMJ or help reduce the amount of recurrence.
If you want ways to help reduce or prevent symptoms or problems with your temporomandibular joint Toronto talk to your dentist.