Are you experiencing sensitive teeth? Our dentist Dr. Lily Lo at Lawrence Avenue Dental shares her insight and interesting facts about sensitive teeth.
Tooth sensitivity is the discomfort caused by a cold or hot sensation to the dentin. Dentin is basically the layer under the hard enamel of the teeth. When the dentin is exposed, it means it has lost its protective covering and the nerves and roots are also exposed, making the teeth lose its buffer. Since the nerve is open and exposed, it can react to any stimuli making your teeth sensitive.
CAUSE OF TOOTH SENSITIVITY
Sensitive teeth are most common in children and young adults ageing 18 to 44. There are many underlying causes, most of which involve the loss of dentin resulting in nerve exposure. You will need to inform your dentist of when these flashes of pain occur. Main reasons for tooth sensitivity are as follows:
- DIET: Eating hard food, or food that contain citrus, sugars such as juices and sports drinks cause your teeth to be sensitive.
- CHEWING ICE: ice is hard so it takes a lot of effort by your teeth which may cause the enamel to rack and grind too.
- ROUGH BRUSHING: using a brush that has hard bristles or brushing your teeth aggressively may cause your teeth to be sensitive.
- TOOTH DECAY: the smallest of the cavity eats away the tooth enamel and may cause your dentin to be uncovered which can again result in tooth sensitivity.
- GUM ISSUES: toothbrush scratch, crowning your tooth, too much flossing and various gum issues can result in gum sensitivity in the mouth.
- DENTAL WORK: any dental work you get done cane followed by short-lived tooth sensitivity.
- PREGNANCY: it does not cause tooth sensitive up front but the changing hormone level in your body during this time may cause you discomfort and pain.
If you are experiencing tooth sensitivity or any other oral health issues, give Lawrence Avenue Dental a call today. Our practice is growing and accepting new patients. We are conveniently located in East Toronto at DVP and Lawrence Avenue. Ample, free parking is available.